Skip to content

Getting a US Student-Visa (F1/I-20) or Canadian Study Permit

  • 19 October 2021

You can apply for an American student visa or a Canadian study permit once you have been admitted to an institution and paid your deposit. To learn more about applying, contact the nearest US or Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your country. It is possible that you will need to make an appointment or that walk-in hours will be available.


What is a visa?

A visa allows a foreign national to travel to an American port of entry and request authorization to enter the country from an immigration officer. Please keep in mind that it does not guarantee admittance to the United States.


What kind of student-visa do you need to study in the USA?

An F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa is required to attend a university in the United States. To ensure that your visa is obtained before travelling to the United States, you should plan beforehand. Your university will issue your I-20 immigration documents, and your visa will be valid for the duration of your study.


What kind of visa do you need to study in Canada?

For study in Canada, the study permit is the official document issued by an officer that allows someone, not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, to study in Canada. In addition, international students must apply for a Canadian Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa depending on their home country.


What is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?

A temporary resident visa is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office. It’s kept in your passport as proof that you have satisfied the requirements for temporary residency in Canada.